Welcome to EyeglassRetailerReviews.com!
This site was created for those looking to buy glasses online. Buying prescription glasses online can save you money. In many cases, you can find prescription glasses for under $30. I’ve put together a list of all the online retailers I could find, dug up as much information as I could find about each of them, and in some cases, purchased from the retailer, taken some pictures, and put up a review.
If you’re looking for information, you’ve (hopefully) come to the right place. Start browsing through all the retailers one-by-one with the buttons below, or scroll down for more information about EyeglassRetailerReviews.com .
Tip: Each page has “Previous” & “Next” links at the top and bottom so if you are done reading the current review or info page, click the Prev/Next link to hop to the next one. You can always use the menu on the left if you want to check out the page for a specific retailer.
← Check out the following sections along the menu on the left:
- My Reviews – This section has actual purchase reviews complete with pictures. Every so often I pick a retailer and buy a pair of glasses. I put up everything here including how long it takes to ship it to me, how much it cost, how the quality seems to be, any concerns I had, if I would purchase from them again, if I’d recommend them to others based on my own experience, and more.
- Reader-submitted Reviews – Various readers have submitted their own reviews to the site over the years, usually with pictures and observations of their own. I highly recommend making use of this additional resource.
- Information – This section contains information about each retailer – generally just about everything I could find by doing some searching and digging around, and includes a quick review of their site.
If you’ve purchased from one of the retailers listed (or even one that isn’t!), please let me know how it went – good or bad, I’d love to hear about it. You can shoot me an email to the address listed in the Contact Me! page available in the left menu.
Quick comparison – EXPERIMENTAL!
If you plan to check out a few retailers, you might find it helpful to right-click on them and “open in a new tab”. That way you can easily sift between them in your browser.
|retailer (link goes to website)||BBB rating||Total (incl shipping) for cheapest single-vision glasses||Total (incl shipping) for cheapest bi-focal glasses||UV & AR coatings||Notes:||Information Page||Purchase Review||User Reviews|
|39 Dollar Glasses||A+||$44 (1.59 index)||$94 (1.59 index)||free / $25||Base lenses are polycarbonate (virtually shatterproof). Most new-user friendly eyeglass retailer on the web.||info page||my review|
|Zenni Optical||A+||$12 (1.57 index)||$29 (1.50 index)||free / $5||Most popular discount eyeglass retailer on the web.||info page||my review||user reviews|
|Goggles4u||A+||$17 (1.57 index)||$35 (1.56 index)||free / incl||Carries over 3000 frames. A few designer brands available. Historically known for interesting “cloth bag” envelopes which were always a conversation starter.||info page||my review||user reviews|
|Frames Direct||A-||approx $195||approx $225||$15 / $45||Only carries high end name brand designer frames (largest selection of any retailer). Most popular name-brand retailer on the web. Since all designer frames vary in price, the listed total is based upon $150 frames.||info page|
|EyeBuyDirect||F||$13 (1.50 index)||$32 (1.50 index)||$5 / $7||Runs frequent 2-for-1 sales (appears to have pioneered the concept).||info page||my review|
|GlassesShop||unavailable||$20 (1.50 index)||$40 (1.50 index)||$5 / $5||Runs frequent 2-for-1 sales.||info page||my review|
|Coastal||B+||$62 (1.59 index)||$113 (1.58 index)||free / free||Price includes 7% handling fee. Carries a selection of name-brand designer wear as well. Has ongoing “first pair free” promotion (appears to have pionnered the concept).||info page||my review|
|GlassesUSA||F||$48 (1.50 index)||$137 (1.50 index)||$29 (UV + AR)||Carries medium selection of designer brands||info page|
|Global Eyeglasses||F||$25 (1.50 index)||$44 (1.50 index)||$5 / $10||Growing somewhat in popularity over time.||info page||my review|
|Great Eyeglasses||A||$18 (1.56 index)||$39 (1.56 index)||free / $10||Site has a retro “60′s” theme (bit of a must-see in my opinion).||info page||user reviews|
|Eyeglass Direct||B+||$33 (1.50 index)||$74 (1.50 index)||free / $28||Has local storefront in Brooklyn NY and offers “pickup” as shipping option.||info page||my review|
|Optical4less||unavailable||$37 (1.56 index)||$100 (1.56 index)||free / free||Carries indexes up to 1.9. Was previously known for excellent lens craftsmanship especially with complex prescriptions, though there are rumours that may have changed.||info page||my review|
|SelectSpecs||F||$24 (1.56 index)||$51 (1.50 index)||free / free||Based in UK, has US/Can/Germany offices. Quite popular.||info page||my review||user reviews|
|Eyeglass Factory Outlet||F||$40 (1.50 index)||$55 (1.50 index)||free / $40||Used to run an eBay storefront as well.||info page||user reviews|
|Choice Eyewear||F||$20 (1.56 index)||$40 (1.56 index)||free / $5||Formerly known as LBW Eyewear.||info page|
|MyGlasses||unavailable||$34 (1.50 index)||$46 (1.50 index)||free / $22||info page|
|SpecsOnTheNet||unavailable||$41 (1.50 index)||$79 (1.50 index)||free / $16||Based in UK, only 17 frames available.||info page||user reviews|
If you notice errors, send me a quick email via the Contact Me! page.
Note: It is important to keep in mind that the table above is not a good apples-to-apples comparison. It’s been added due to requests, but here are a few reasons why you should not rely on it:
- The total price is a little “ballpark”. It uses a price point where a healthy number of frames exist. But you might find frames for less, or might have to spend more to find something you like.
- Retailers all carry multiple lens “indexes” at various price points. I have only listed the “bottom end” (thickest, and cheapest) indexes that each offers.
- Shipping is based on the US-shipping. Some retailers charge the same for international shipping, and some charge more.
- These do not take into account the ease-of-use of the site, retailer’s reputation, the quality of the lenses/coatings, etc. You’ll have to read reviews for those.
- The table doesn’t list varifocal/progressives. Or total frame offerings. Or a number of other lens options. I didn’t want the table to get too massive, and just wanted to provide ballpark at-a-glance figures.
Again, I urge you not to rely solely on the chart to make your purchase decisions! Read up on the retailers, check a few out, and make a well-informed decision!
If people are finding the chart helpful, I may eventually expand on it (and move it to it’s own comparison page just like the old site had). If not, it might disappear at some point in the future. Send me a message if you have strong feelings one way or the other.