Forum Archive

You're at the forum archive. The forums were taken down years ago due to some unfortunate astroturfing attempts by a couple retailers. At the time, I was very concerned about exposing readers to a bunch of input-that-might-be-fake, or creating a situation where the well-behaved retailers were at a disadvantage.

However, because a number of readers had posted helpful comments & reviews, and I didn't want to see it all vanish into oblivion permanently, I kept a backup around. What you're seeing now is that backup (almost 7 years old now - don't ask how I managed to get it running again...). Things are a bit scattered, and you can't post anything new (the buttons have all been disabled), but the original content is here if you're interested.

My purchase experience

EyeglassRetailerReviews.com Forum Index -> 39 Dollar Glasses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuthorMessage
DeltaDog2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:59 pmOct 01, 2006    Post subject: My purchase experience

I recently purchased prescription sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.com, and wanted to submit my review.

9/20/2006 placed my order with 39dollarglasses.com. I selected a pair of plastic sunglass frames with polycarbonate lenses, which came to a total of $59.90 with shipping.

9/21/2006 received an email that my glasses were in process.

9/22/2006 received an email that my glasses had shipped.

9/26/2006 my glasses came in the mail. They were packaged inside a hard case inside a bubble mailer envelope. I was very impressed by how quickly they arrived! I should mention that I have a fairly straightforward prescription.

The case is a basic hard sided one, and it comes with a nice microfiber cleaning cloth. The glasses look perfect with no flaws, scratches, or dirt. The prescription is perfect, and I am thrilled with the quality for the price. The frames seem sturdy and the glasses are about the weight and comfort I’d expect. I would say they’re comparable to a $20 pair - but of course, they’re prescription so I can actually SEE!

My only complaints about the glasses are not really specific to 39dollarglasses.com, but I’d like to include them as a reminder to others considering an online glasses purchase.

First, I wish I had spent more time comparing the size of the frames to the size of the nonprescription ones I like and have currently. The size listed on 39dollarglasses.com matches the glasses that I received, but they are smaller than I normally like to wear (completely my fault for not checking, but I would urge others to check this more carefully as it’s hard to tell from a picture). One really nice feature on 39dollarglasses is you can print out the outline of the frame – you could even cut it out and “try it on” if you wanted – so I really have no excuse for not doing this!

Second, these glasses have no curve to them whatsoever. I imagine that’s part of why they are economical and so quick to make, but it surprised me as most sunglasses have at least some curve. I did find other online sites where you can order curved sunglasses, but they are much more expensive.

As for 39dollarglasses, I will definitely purchase from them again. In fact I plan to place an order soon for a spare pair of regular glasses, and maybe another style of sunglasses.
wurlybird9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:00 amOct 11, 2006    Post subject:

nice review.

can you mention sites where you saw sunglasses with curve?

Never seriously researched sunglasses (don't need em really....plus I wore contacts up till couple years ago, so could wear any ol' pair on top)

But I know that Oakley sells Rx wraps. In addition, they manufacture the lenses. It is quite difficult to properly fit and produce such a non-standard lens. Hence, quite expensive.

However, you may have seen a more-cheaply produced solution, in which the Rx lens "snaps" into the frame. (not actually giving full visual coverage)

http://www.optical4less.com/clipin.html

HTH
DeltaDog2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:22 pmOct 26, 2006    Post subject: Sunglasses with curve to them

Here's the one I found that sold prescription sunglasses with some curve to them:
http://www.heavyglare.com/prescription-sunglasses.php

I have no experience with them, but their site looks pretty good.
wurlybird9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:33 pmOct 26, 2006    Post subject:

Quote:
XYZ OPTICS

Oakley's patented XYZ Optics® maintains visual clarity at all angles of view, even at the edge of raked-back lens contours that maximize peripheral vision and protection. Conventional eyewear bends light rays and distorts vision at the lens periphery, but XYZ Optics® maps the full lens contour to the human eye, ensuring razor-sharp vision at all angles.
EyeglassRetailerReviews.com Forum Index -> 39 Dollar GlassesAll times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Finished with the forums? Click here to head back to the main Eyeglass Retailer Reviews site.